- Fontana is a city in San Bernardino County, California. Founded in 1913 by Azriel Blanchard Miller, in its early days it was an agricultural town of citrus orchards, vineyards, and chicken ranches astride historic U.S. Route 66 (today known as Foothill Blvd.) The Fontana area was radically transformed during World War II when Henry J. Kaiser built one of only two steel mills west of the Mississippi River outside the city limits. The city was incorporated on June 25, 1952 and today, Fontana is a regional hub of the trucking industry with Interstate 10 and State Route 210 transecting the city from east to west, and Interstate 15 passing diagonally through its northwestern quadrant. It is home to the largest of the San Bernardino County system libraries, a renovated historic theater, a municipal park, and the Auto Club Speedway on the site of the Kaiser Steel Mill. Resident’s of Fontana enjoy the diverse amenities offered in this community, including community centers, scenic parks and access to major interstates. With its varied array of housing from gentleman farms that get away from it all, to modern, suburban master planned communities, Fontana has something for everyone.
Fontana’s current economy is driven largely by industrial uses, particularly trucking-based industries and product distributions centers for companies such as Toyota, Target, Sears, Mercedes-Benz, Southern California Edison, Home Shopping Network, and Avery Dennison. The city also has numerous local shopping centers, such as the Summit Heights Gateway/Falcon Ridge Town Center at the north end of the city, and Palm Court in the southern section. The city also features commercial strip zoning along several of its major avenues and boulevards, such as the “Miracle Mile” Straddling the 210 Freeway between Citrus and Sierra Avenues.
According to the City’s 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report the top employers in the city are: Kaiser Permanente, Fontana Unified School District, City of Fontana, Target, Manheim Auctions, Better Beverages.
- While most residents of the city attend schools within the Fontana Unified School District, some areas of the city are served by neighboring school districts.
- The Northwest area of the city is partly served by the Etiwanda School District (K thru 8 only) and the Chaffey Joint Union High School District (High Schools only).
- The Southeast area of the city is partly served by the Colton Joint Unified School District.
- The Northeast area of the city is partly served by the Rialto Unified School District.
There are no schools near by this property.
Get this FREE eBook courtesy of Stuart Merida:
Request to URL: "http://api.education.com/service/service.php?sn=sf&f=schoolSearch&key=65f5fef47d17f7562c88128cae993b11&resf=xml&city=Fontana&state=CA" failed. Response code: 500